Flooring Installation Services
Flooring is a large project and can be expensive, so you want to make sure your installation is done right. At Higgins Carpet One, we guarantee our carpet or flooring installation for the life of your floor. Our showroom in South Portland features the best and most popular brands of carpeting and flooring. You’ll find that we have just about the widest selection of colors and styles in southern Maine.
Why is quality installation important?
Quality installation makes a world of difference in the appearance of your flooring. An installation done right can make budget-friendly flooring look high-end, but conversely, a second-rate installation can leave even the best flooring with obvious seams, lumps, gapping and other issues. It’s important to remember that mistakes made during installation can comprise the appearance, functionality and lifespan of your flooring. Carpet One Floor & Home uses qualified professionals to ensure the best installation possible.
Before making a flooring purchase, ask an expert at your local Carpet One Floor & Home store to walk you through the installation process. Make sure you read the fine print and clearly understand the process and any additional charges. For example, there may be additional costs for furniture moving, sub-floor removal and cleaning, and disposal of old flooring. Typically, these additional fees are found within the fine print and installation turns out to cost a lot more then you had anticipated. That’s why we strive to make sure our customers fully understand the installation process and know the total installed price before they purchase their new floor.
Should I install or should a professional?
Flooring is a large project and can be expensive, so you want to make sure it’s done right. Think about this before you go searching “How to install laminate flooring.” While it’s possible to tackle a flooring installation project on your own, it’s important to consider your experience level with do-it-yourself projects, home repairs and renovations, and your experience with the floor material itself. Making mistakes during installation can compromise the appearance, functionality and lifespan of your flooring. Unless you are an experienced DIYer, it’s best to hire a professional installer to ensure you love your new floor. Plus, many professional installers offer installation warranties that protect your floor for years to come. Some retailers even offer lifetime installation warranties.
What are hidden installation costs?
Generally, there are additional fees for removal and disposal of existing floor, sub-floor leveling, and cleaning and furniture removal. Take the time to speak with an expert at your local Carpet One Floor & Home store about options and costs associated with flooring installation Portland.
What is the significance of a sub-floor?
The sub-floor lies beneath the top surface flooring and is an important consideration for proper installation.
Prior to installation, you’ll want to make sure your sub-floor is clean of debris, level, dry and sturdy. That way, you can minimize allergens, dust, mold and mildew that can form when a sub-floor is not properly prepared. Typically, the preferred sub-floor for each installation is found within the installation guide and can vary from one flooring retailer to another. A properly kept sub-floor is critical to the longevity of any floor regardless of product type.
What questions should I ask about installation?
To understand the installation process and costs fully, it’s important to ask the following questions:
- How long will it take to complete the installation?
- How soon can I get an installation appointment?
- Does the installation estimate include cleanup and disposing of my old flooring?
- Can you compare the installation estimate I received from another retailer with yours?
- What happens if there is a problem with installation?
- Is there a charge for coming back to fix something?
- Am I responsible for moving furniture?
- Do you practice healthy installation by minimizing irritants, dust, and odors to encourage better air quality?
- How long is your installation guaranteed for?
What costs are associated with professional installation?
You can typically expect some of these costs when using a professional installer:
- Materials for subfloor preparation and floor installation
- Labor for subfloor preparation and floor installation
- Furniture moving
- Finishing work, sealing, trim
- Cleanup and disposal
- Custom work
In some cases, you’ll be able to lower the cost of using a professional if you’re willing to handle furniture moving, material delivery, and cleanup and disposal of the existing flooring yourself.
How do I prepare for installation?
You’ve visited your local Carpet One Floor & Home store and selected your new exotic hardwood floor or maybe a super-soft carpet for your home. Before your installation date rolls around, remember that installers are professional craftsmen and need to have the area properly prepared before they can install your new flooring.
The below checklist aims to help you prepare for your hardwood floor installation, carpet installation, or other flooring installs.
- Remove all breakables.
- Determine up front who will remove furniture, appliances and the subfloor if needed.
- Arrange for the disconnection of gas appliances and electronics.
- Determine if any change to the height of the floor requires adjustments to doors for them to open and close properly.
- Remove items in storage areas and closets where the new floor is to be installed.
- Remove drapes, wall hangings, and pictures from walls.
- Clean all floors properly prior to laying new floors.
- Verify that the inside temperature is appropriate for installation.
When it comes to preparing your home for carpet or hardwood floor installation the steps to prepare your home are the same. So whether you’re having carpet, laminate, tile, vinyl or hardwood flooring installed, follow these tips to best prep your space. Then, let the experts at Carpet One Floor & Home take over in creating your beautiful floor.
How can I tell if my installation was done well?
When it comes to flooring installation there are many mistakes that can happen during the process that can compromise the appearance and lifespan of your flooring. Whether you’re thinking of installing your own floor or hiring a professional, below are a few tips that will help you evaluate your flooring installation:
- Well Done: The carpet will meet the walls snugly, without any edges showing. The carpet will be smooth, without bumps or ridges.
- Poorly Done: The carpet will show frayed edges where the carpet meets the wall. Seams (where installers had to put two sections of carpet together) won’t match, will be aligned improperly, or may show bumps and ridges in the carpet.
- Well Done: Seams and end joints are close together, with no gaps. The hardwood will meet the walls snugly, without any edges showing.
- Poorly Done: The hardwood will show air bubbles, debris or dirt particles underneath the floor. There will be gapping between planks.
- Well Done: The joints of the floor will be securely locked together. Joints will be snug and have close-fitting seams with no separation or cracking.
- Poorly Done: The laminate will show frayed edges.
- Well Done: The vinyl floor will be smooth and won’t show any bumps or ridges. The vinyl floor will meet the walls snugly, without any edges showing.
- Poorly Done: The vinyl floor will show bubbles or waves underneath the surface.
- Well Done: The tiles will be securely locked together with no separation or cracking.
- Poorly Done: The tile grout lines will be inconsistent.
For more information, click here to request a free measure for your space!